Journal of Advances in Economics and Finance
Volume 1, Number 1, November 2016
On Defining, Assessing and Governing of Agrarian Sustainability
Download PDF (512.4
1-20, Pub. Date:December 23, 2016
Institute of Agricultural Economics, Sofia, Bulgaria
Research on governance of agrarian sustainability is at the beginning stage due to
“newness” of the problem, emerging new challenges, fundamental modernization during recent years,
“lack” of long-term experiences and relevant data, application of narrow (certain form/management
level), one-dimensional, unisectioral, normative, without transaction costs etc. approaches. This paper
suggests a modern and practical framework for analyzing and assessing the system of governance of
agrarian sustainability. Interdisciplinary New Institutional Economics framework is incorporated and
agrarian sustainability is properly defined, principle mechanisms and modes of governance
(institutions, market, private, public, hybrid) of agrarian sustainability are classified, and a holistic
approach for identifying components and factors, assessing efficiency, and improving governance
system is presented. Framework is to be further discussed and improved while its application requires
new type of micro and macro-economic data for agrarian agents’ preferences and behavior, activities
and efficiency of farming organizations, effects and impacts on social, community and natural
Agrarian sustainability, market, private, public governance
-  H. Bachev, “Mechanisms of Governance of Sustainable Development”, Journal of Applied Economic Science, vol.4, no 2, pp.169-184, 2009.
-  C. Barrett, “Fairness, stewardship and sustainable development”, Ecological Economics, vol. 19, no 1, pp. 11-17,1996.
-  M. De Molina, “Agroecology and Politics. How To Get Sustainability? About the Necessity for a Political Agroecology”, Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, vol. 37, no1, pp. 45-59, 2013.
-  R. Epp, “The Agrarian Vision: Sustainability and Environmental Ethics”, Journal of Agricultural & Environmental Ethics, vol. 26, no 3, pp. 739-741, 2013.
-  C. Kremen, A. Iles, and C. Bacon, “Diversified Farming Systems: An Agroecological, Systems-based Alternative to Modern Industrial Agriculture”, Ecology and Society, vol. 17, no 4, pp. 44, 2012.
-  J. Weigelt, A. Muller, H. Janetschek, K. Topfer, “Land and soil governance towards a transformational post-2015 Development Agenda: an overview”, Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, vol. 15, pp. 57-65, 2015.
-  K. Zimmerer, “Agriculture, livelihoods, and globalization: The analysis of new trajectories (and avoidance of justso stories) of human-environment change and conservation”, Agriculture and Human Values, vol. 24, no 1, pp. 9-16, 2007.
-  H. Bachev, “Governing of Finance Supply in Bulgarian Farms”, Available: SSRN 903502, 2004.
-  H. Bachev, “Assessment of Sustainability of Bulgarian Farms”, proceedings, XIth Congress of the European Association of Agricultural Economists, Copenhagen, 2005.
-  H. Bachev, Governance of Agrarian Sustainability. Nova Science Publishers, 2010.
-  H. Bachev, “Risk Management in Agri-food Sector”, Contemporary Economics, vol. 7, no 1, pp. 45-62, 2013.
-  E. Berge and N. Stenseth (editors), (1998). Law and the Governance of Renewable Resources. Studies from Northern Europe and Africa. ICS Press, 1998.
-  S. Beerbaum, “Agricultural soil protection in Germany - social requirements and legal provisions”,ZUCKERINDUSTRIE, vol. 129, no 9, pp. 636-638, 2004.
-  G. Daily, T. S?derqvist, S. Aniyar, K. Arrow, P. Dasgupta, P. Ehrlich, C. Folke, A. Jansson, B. Jansson, N.Kautsky, S. Levin, J. Lubchenco, K. M?ler, D. Simpson, D. Starrett, D. Tilman and B. Walker, “The value of nature and the nature of value”, Science 289, 395-396, 2000.
-  C. Edwards, R.Lal, P.Madden, R.Miller and G.House (editors), Sustainable Agricultural Systems, Soil and Water Conservation Society, 2000.
-  EC, “A Framework for Indicators for the Economic and Social Dimensions of Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development”, European Commission, 2001.
-  FAO, “SAFA. Sustainability Assessment of Food and Agriculture Systems Indicators”, FAO, 2013.
-  A. Farah and A. Gomez-Ramos, “Competitiveness vs. Sustainability: An Assessment of Profitability as a Component of an Approach on "Sustainable Competitiveness" in Extensive Farming Systems of Central Spain”,Sustainability, vol. 6, no 11, pp. 8029-8055, 2014.
-  M. Garcia-Brenes, “Incidence of the European Union's Agricultural Policy on the Sustainability of Olive Cultivation in Andalusia, Spain”, CUADERNOS DE DESARROLLO RURAL, vol. 9, no 68, pp. 87-103, 2012.
-  R. Lowrance, P. Hendrix, and E. Odum, “A hierarchical approach to sustainable agriculture, American Journal of Alternative Agriculture, vol. 1, no 4, pp. 169-173, 1986.
-  N. Mirovitskaya and W.Ascher (editors), “Guide to Sustainable Development and Environmental Policy”, Duke University Press, 2001.
-  OECD, “Environmental indicators for agriculture”, Volume 3: Methods and Results, OECD, 2001.
-  S. Raman, “Agricultural Sustainability. Principles, Processes and Prospect”, The Haworth Press Inc., 2006.
-  X. Sauvenier, J. Valekx, N. Van Cauwenbergh, E. Wauters, H. Bachev. K. Biala, C. Bielders, V. Brouckaert, V.Garcia-Cidad, S. Goyens, M. Hermy, E. Mathijs, B.Muys, M. Vanclooster and A. Peeters, “Framework for Assessing Sustainability Levels in Belgium Agricultural Systems – SAFE”, Belgium Science Policy, 2005.
-  UN, “Paris Climate Change Conference – November-December 2015”, UN, 2015.
-  G. VanLoon, S. Patil and L. Hugar, “Agricultural Sustainability: Strategies for Assessment”, SAGE Publications, 2005.
-  M. Brklacich, C.Bryant and B.Smith, “Review and appraisal of concept of sustainable food production systems”, Environmental Management, vol. 15, no 1, pp. 1-14, 1991.
-  L. Hansen, “Is Agricultural Sustainability a Useful Concept”, Agricultural Systems, no 50, pp. 117-143, 1996.
-  I. Lewandowski, M. H?rdtlein, and M. Kaltschmitt, “Su"stainable crop production: definition and methodological approach for assessing and implementing sustainability”, Crop science, no 39, pp.184-193, 1999.
-  S. Lopez-Ridauira, O. Masera, and M. Astier, “Evaluating the sustainability of complex socio-environmental systems. The MESMIS framework”, Ecological indicators no 2, pp. 135-148, 2002.
-  D. Hayati, Z. Ranjbar, and E. Karami, “Measuring Agricultural Sustainability”, in E. Lichtfouse (ed.),Biodiversity, Biofuels, Agroforestry and Conservation Agriculture, Sustainable Agriculture Reviews 5, Springer Science, 73-100, 2010.
-  R. Coase, “The Problem of Social Costs”, Journal of Law and Economics, no 3, pp. 1-44, 1960.
-  E. Ostrom, “Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action”, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
-  D. North, “Institutions, Institutional Change and Economic Performance,” Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
-  O. Williamson,”The Mechanisms of Governance”, Oxford University Press, 1996.
-  H. Bachev, “A Framework for Assessing Sustainability of Farming Enterprises”, Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, vol. 9, no 1, pp. 24-43, 2016.
-  H. Bachev and T.Nanseki,“Environmental Management in Bulgarian Agriculture – Risks, Modes, Major Challenges”, Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture of Kyushu University, vol. 53, no 1, pp. 363-373, 2008.
-  H. Bachev and B.Ivanov, “Framework for Analyzing and Assessing the System of Governance and Levels of Agrarian Sustainability”, available: SSRN 2700057